Friday, September 13, 2013

Diabetes Camp

Hey!
   I realized that I have touched upon the subject of diabetes camp, but never have i made it a post. I feel like it's something that deserves it's very own post. But where to begin? It's a place that has changed my life forever. Without diabetes camp I don't even think I would be the Same person. There are many options for diabetes camp. You can go all over the country for them. I know of a few good ones out of Massachusetts, Like Camp Nejeda in New Jersey. The director is my friend and can promise a good experience.
      I personally go to Clara Barton Camp, And Camp Joslin. They are both about an hour and a half away from me. While I don't really "go to camp" anymore these are the camps I work at. I used to go to Barton's Residential camp when I was younger. Now being a bit older I work day camp because I can come home from time to time. The great thing about Barton is that they offer coed weekend programs. They range from overnights where you trick-or-treat to weekends with caregivers. My mom and I traveled down for "Live,Laugh,Love" almost 11 years ago. That weekend I met so many wonderful campers and staff who just got it. Diabetes was the norm there and I needed that.
      So how does camp play a role in my life now? At 17 years old I am proud to say that camp has taught me to embrace myself in any way I can. Today when I do my camp work I try to send the same message so many staff members taught me.  "It's Diabetes, It's hard to handle, but you always have camp. Until there is a cure there is camp". Even though it may be hard to believe this is true. With camp most kids feel better about there diabetes. They truly know that aren't alone and it gives them the strength they need to deal with their diabetes in the real world. So if you're thinking camp as a diabetic check out a diabetes camp!
Here's to year 15!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment