Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fast Food and Diabetes- Can They Mix?

Just a few minutes ago I got the dreaded phone call....
    "We are getting McDonalds"
This literally sends me into a panic! I mean of course I know all the ways to handle it, but the real question is which one will work? But Don't worry my friends, I always have a solution. Remember I am not a medical Professional.

Step 1. Add up ALL Carbs- Don't shortchange fast food! Yes you can occasionally do that with home cooked meals, But NEVER EVER on fast food. Trust me I speak from my own stupidity.

Step 2. Give insulin at LEAST 20 minutes BEFORE. Believe it or not having insulin just slightly before your meal can help! It will be in your system and getting ready to peak as the gross fast food hits your lips. Clever right? I also tend to do my insulin off my blood sugar. If I'm a little higher I might give a little more. Lower? Just the normal amount.

Step 3. For Pumpers Only! Depending on the pump you have you should have a option to spread your insulin intake out. People on shots, are you confused? Basically what my pump has is a feature that allows me to take insulin in small portions spread out over time. Why does this help? Well if the fat of my food won't kick in for an hour, I can still be getting insulin up to two hours after my original bolus. Covering EVERYTHING!! It's amazing!

Step 4. Make sure you have all your carbs correct before you bolus. Usually on most meals they have the carb count, but if you want to pre-bolus use a calorie king or some other carb/calorie counting site or App. This can Help ensure a better number afterwards

Step 5. Check 2 hours after the meal! This can help control blood sugars for a longer period of time. Trust me I know checking the sugar can be annoying, but this will help you. I swear. Well most blood sugar checks do help you, but this one especially. If you do one two hours after it can help lower any sugar that might be affected by the fat. Helping you get more sleep... Hopefully
Here's to year 15!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment